Thursday 25 June 2015

My first Holacracy Governance meeting

Yesterday I attended my first Governance meeting at Evolving Organisation. It was everything I expected it to be.

As Website Manager, I'd taken in the suggestion that we needed to refresh our brand for a new website. I felt that the branding shouldn't be owned by the Website Manager as it's really sits across the business as a whole, being present in every touch point, such as business cards, presentations etc.

So I raised a tension, and it got processed into a Brand Guardian role. And today I'm energising that role. And I find myself thinking about the wider implications of rebranding rather than what would be in the best interests of Website Manager.

It took about 5 minutes to define the new role and another 5 to process a tension that was raised against it. The impact on our business that took just ten minutes to integrate could be huge.

At the end of the meeting, our Facilitator, Nick, asked if we have everything we needed. My initial answer wanted to be NO, but I realised before it came out of my mouth that I have everything I need to take the next couple of steps forward. And that's all I need.

And I can't go wrong. Energising the new role might well create tensions in people but we all know that they'll get processed into useful change soon enough.

The Brand Guardian role is 'good enough'. It may well be unrecognisable in a few months from its original incarnation and all the better for it.

The power of Holacracy simply blows me away.

How does change get processed in your business?

1 comment:

  1. I love how the simplicity and efficiency speaks from your writing. I _love_ the Holacracy Governance process, and especially these simple "good enough for now" new Role proposals that later change into something that may be unrecognisable from the original proposal. I wish you good look and much enjoyment with your continuing practise!

    (I practise Holacracy with Structure & Process: http://structureprocess.com, https://glassfrog.holacracy.org/organizations/161 - we are already in connection with Evolving Organisation from time to time, e.g. when publishing Holacracy Events. Greetings to Nick and the others. :) If anything comes to mind where we could collaborate one day, do reach out!)

    ReplyDelete